Sunday, January 16, 2011

Players to be Discussed

Let’s take a look at the names I will be examining here over the coming days, weeks, months, years. 

Those players who will be returning to the ballot next year include (with this year’s percentage):
Barry Larkin                  62.1
Jack Morris                  53.5
Lee Smith                     45.3
Jeff Bagwell                41.7
Tim Raines                   37.5
Edgar Martinez         32.9     
Alan Trammel            24.3
Larry Walker                20.3
Mark McGwire          19.8
Fred McGriff               17.9
Don Mattingly           13.6
Dale Murphy              12.6
Rafael Palmeiro         11.0
Juan Gonzalez            5.2

These players are will be at least briefly talked about in the coming weeks.  When the ballot comes out for next year, I will cover any others listed as well.  I am guessing that these guys will be listed and hope to cover them in the coming weeks:
Bernie Williams
Brad Radke
Tim Salmon
Brian Jordan
Edgardo Alfonzo
Javy Lopez
Bill Mueller

I will be using two websites heavily for this project:

I cannot recommend these sites more than enough.  I am sure most fans of the game know them well.  BR has a larger list for the 2012 HOF ballot.  I used a soft cut off of around 30 bWAR to decide on players to cover before the ballot is listed. 

bWAR is WAR on Baseball Reference
fWAR is WAR on FanGraphs

2013 Newbies:
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemons
Curt Schilling
Craig Biggio
Kenny Lofton
Sammy Sosa
Mike Piazza
David Wells
Julio Franco
Steve Finley
Reggie Sanders
Jeff Cirillo
Shawn Green
Ryan Klesko
Jeff Conine
Roberto Hernandez

2014:
Greg Maddux
Frank Thomas
Mike Mussina
Tom Glavine
Jeff Kent
Luis Gonzalez
Kenny Rogers
Moises Alou
Ray Durham

2015:
Randy Johnson
Pedro Martinez
John Smoltz
Gary Sheffield
Carlos Delgado
Brian Giles
Nomar Garciaparra
Tom Gordon
Bartolo Colon

As well as future ballots, I will go back and highlight some players I feel merited more discussion for the hall of fame.  Ron Santo in particular but three fell off the ballot this year that I think deserved more consideration:
Harold Baines
John Franco
Kevin Brown

I hope this eventually becomes more readable.  I am working at it.  My stream of conscience probably gets old.  

I am willing to take any suggestions of baseball topics as well.  I will definetely get a post in eventually about my favorite all-time player, the great Robin Ventura.  I do not necessarily think he was a Hall of Famer (Favorite player, cannot be rational) but I feel he should have had more consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment